If you have a garden, here’s an excellent way to sprinkle some magic into it. This garden mirror is simple and easy but the result is enchanting. Using an old mirror, you create an illusion of a space that goes beyond your walls.
The design is basic but you get to customize it any way you want. You can add grilles or you can make it look like two open windows. You can go big or small – the choice is yours.
A ready-made garden mirror retails for more than $200. That’s a lot of money. But why buy one when it’s very easy to make your own?
What you’ll need to make an optical illusion garden mirror…
- Paper (for creating sample template)
- Mirror (square or rectangular)
- The wood of your choice cut to the desired size
- Outdoor primer
- paint or stain
- Connecting hardware to join the wood pieces together at the back. (flat, metal mending plates with small wood screws and wood glue to connect the wood pieces, and adhesive suitable for glass and mirror to attach everything to the mirror)
- Mirror clips or other hardware to secure the mirror to the back of the frame (if it isn’t already)
- Hanging hardware (to hang up a mirror)
- 2 hinges and 1 door handle (ornamental)
- Clamps (if gluing the pieces together)
- Saw – preferably an electric miter saw
- Sandpaper or palm sander
- Measuring tape
- Scotch tape (or some sort of removable tape to hold template papers in place)
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
Thanks to Empress of Dirt for this great project. You can get step-by-step instructions here…