As we live near an old steam-powered sawmill, we decided to use rough milled redwood 1×6’s for the floor, so we ran them through the planner and then the edger to get a beautiful floor.
As we were using true one inch thick boards we decided to screw them in with appropriate length screws from the underside so that no fasteners would be visible. To protect it for the rest of the project we covered it with some 1/8 inch plywood pieces we had laying around. This is the subfloor before we nailed it on the redwood boards.
We decided to frame the walls with rough-cut 2x2s, which made it a little more challenging than it would have been to use consistently sized lumber from the lumber yard. non-loadbearing walls allowed us to frame the windows and door lightly in this manner. Don’t try this on load-bearing walls!
We did the framing with 3-inch star drive screws, which are stronger and much easier to drive than Philips screws of the same length. I Highly recommend them to anyone who has ever stripped out a screw or a few.
As it is only 6×10 feet inside, we decided to keep the back wall without windows, and so we put a window in the other three walls. Due to the roughness of the lumber, we framed with, varying in thickness by up to a quarter-inch, the structure started taking on its own dimensions, which we allowed, knowing that it would give it character.
Continued Page 3…